Has anyone successfully gotten 802.11r working

Packet7hrower
Here to help

Has anyone successfully gotten 802.11r working

So now that the fall creators update is out, I was excited to try out 802.11r on a handful of our machines.

So - I created a new SSID, enabled 802.11r, joined a few Win 10 PCs to it, but, all I see in the dashboard is 802.11r: Off

Called into support - and they said it should be enabled by default. I've verified with Intel that the adapter supports 802.11r.

I cant seem to find anywhere online of any steps I need to take to enable fast roaming. Has anyone gotten it to work?

*Edit - I've made sure to update all PCs to the newest ProSet driver from Intel.

8 Replies 8
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Do you have the latest drivers installed from Intel (directly from Intel - not the machine OEM)? 

Also, do you have 802.11r enabled or in adaptive mode (you want enabled)? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Oh - that was stupid of me - I should of said that originally. Yes - updated to the latest Proset drivers. It's set to Enabled.

I know 802.11r Roaming is enabled by default on IOS/MAC devices. Assuming that you're using a Windows Machine, have you attempted to change the roaming aggressiveness on your NIC? - https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Client_roaming_and_connectivity_d...

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Yep - since we have such a dense environment, I set everything to the most aggressive roaming, and optimize for bandwidth. 

I'm going to have a guess that what you are looking at is if the device is reporting as adaptive capable and if it were on adaptive would be enabled.

If 802.11r is forced enabled, those devices that can utilise it, will.  Check the event log for 802.11r roams as a better guide as to whether it is working.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You must have 802.11r set to enabled, and not adaptive.  With 802.11r set to enabled only those devices that support 802.11r will be able to connect.

Packet7hrower
Here to help

Just an update - I found that you must use 802.11X in order for Windows 10 to take advantage of 802.11r. 

Currently testing this out - will report results. 

I have 802.11r enabled at a lot of sites.  Mostly without issues.  It is hard to tell if the end client is actually using it or not though.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels