HELP! - Suggestions on Wireless Router?

Runkljef1
Here to help

HELP! - Suggestions on Wireless Router?

I have an MR42 setup for my home network.  I've been having connectivity issues for quite some time, mainly Nest cameras going offline, but also just loosing general connectivity, at times.  I've had techs from my ISP come out a couple times and the internet service seems to be in order now and they replaced my old Cisco modem with one of theirs. I am still having the issues and I'm thinking, at this point, that I need to upgrade to a better router.  I am currently running a Linksys EA4500 router.  Can someone provide suggestions on the best router to run with one of these access points? 

10 REPLIES 10
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I mean, for home use, Netgear has some good stuff.

I wouldn't use an MX at home unless you're rolling in money or it's free.

When you say losing connectivity, what does that mean? Your internet goes down, or some devices on the wireless network lose connection?

@Nash I do work for a technology company, where I can get a pretty generous discount on an MX device.  I just was trying to avoid having the cost of renewing the license if I can, but if it will get me back to seamless connectivity, I will certainly consider it.  

When I say losing connectivity, it used to be that the entire internet would go down at various times, generally would start working again once I unplugged everything and reconnected.  That seems to be better since the last time a tech came out a couple weeks ago, but it has happened again a time or two.  The ongoing issues with my Nest cameras going offline has been consistent and it's still occurring.  I currently have one that went offline a couple days ago and another that went offline this morning and still hasn't reconnected.  I've worked with Nest tech support and have taken all of their recommendations - placed the wireless equipment in the center of all the cameras, mounted near the ceiling, etc.  The last time the ISP tech was here, he couldn't figure it out either, he was thinking it must be the router as well.  

Nash
Kind of a big deal

When the Nest devices go offline, do other wireless devices go as well? Does the MR42 show as offline in the dashboard?

Have you tried factory resetting the MR42 and letting it pull its config back down? You've done new cable to the MR42, right? Different sw port on the router?

Trying to think of steps you can try before you have to buy new equip.

It really just varies.  The Nest cams are the only devices that are connected to the network on a constant basis so it's possible that we just notice it more than other devices.  Sometimes, the MR42 is offline completely, but other times it's only the cameras that lose connection.  

I have not done a factory reset on the MR42.  I have installed a different cable and tried a different port on the router.  

The assistance and suggestions are much appreciated. 

I have a full Meraki stack at home (mainly for the home office), but of course all of the usual residential stuff is also connected. 

I have found that Nest, Ring etc need to be whitelisted. I'm not sure why exactly, but when I added a new Nest smoke alarm the app kept saying to check internet connection. Went into the dashboard, saw the new MAC address, clicked whitelist and then it worked. My only guess is they are trying to communicate in a way that Meraki thinks is suspicious or not using proper certificates. 

Had to whitelist my ovens too 🙄 I don't like doing it but it works. At least I can put them all on a different VLAN and outside the scope of my work stuff + VPN.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure you don't just have a flaking Internet circuit, something that can't be fixed?

What sort of Internet circuit do you have?

Not as far as I know.  With having had the cable techs out here a couple of times, they don't seem to think it's anything that can be fixed.  I have broadband through Spectrum

Kamome
Building a reputation

I heard that Mikrotik router can handle heavy traffic quite well because processor is more powerful than usual routers. (hEX can handle about 900Mbps NAT traffic) I think you can try one.
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@Kamome wrote:
I heard that Mikrotik router can handle heavy traffic quite well because processor is more powerful than usual routers. (hEX can handle about 900Mbps NAT traffic) I think you can try one.

Mikrotik has some very nice toys.

WD
Here to help

IMO you need to establish if this is the Edge router, NEST cameras or the MR42 that is the root cause of the issue. If other devices also go offline do a tracert 8.8.8.8 to see where the traffic times out. Do it both wired to the network and next whilst connected to the MR42 (not simultaneously).

Internet outages can be caused by your router, loss of wireless connectivity or drop in the connectivity to your router from the ISP depending on the type of connection you have.

Finally EA4500 also has WiFi, ensure it is disabled to stop signal conflicts. Hope this helps. Cheers

WD
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels