Guest WiFi, Vlan and DHCP

BBDave
Getting noticed

Guest WiFi, Vlan and DHCP

We have the following WiFi setup at one of our offices.  10 Cisco AP’s being managed by a Cisco Wireless Controller there are two main SSID’s for the office a Corporate and Guest.  The corporate WiFi is routed over the WAN and the Guest is routed out via a dedicated DSL line.

The DSL router is plug into a network and a VLAN has been assigned to the port and the Guest interface on the Cisco controller has the same VLAN assigned.

Devices on the corporate WiFi receive a DHCP address from the local DC and devices on the Guest receive an address from the Cisco Controller.

So it’s been decided that we are going to replace the existing Cisco AP’s and Controller with Meraki AP’s and cloud controller which is simple enough but they still wish to use the DSL line for the Guest SSID which seem to be a little difficult.

If I set the SSID to NAT mode I can get a DHCP address from the Cloud Controller but this does not sort VLAN’s and will not use the DSL line. If I put the SSID in Bridge or Layer 3 mode I can VLAN it off to the DSL Line but there is no DHCP server, so the devices do not get any addresses.

Has anyone come across this situation or have any ideas.  The only ideas I can think of is either put a small MX appliance in or use the current router.

Thanks

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

NAT mode for Meraki will provide a DHCP server. Bridge mode you have a have a DHCP server set in place somewhere so that you can create your VLANs. If you do have one why not create your VLANs from there? Use your router to create the VLANs. You can also create "group policies" and tag your VLANs from there. 

Enthusiast
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We made the exact same transition for a number of sites a while back and took the option of putting a small MX at each site for the public internet.  You only need the basic license level and an MX64 will cope with a few hundred phone/tablet users.  Having an MX with the APs gives you some good guest metrics.

BBDave
Getting noticed

Aye I think that probably the way we'll have to go.  I do have a MX64 so will probably put that in place.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels