Fast Lane Setup & Wireless Health

nscheffer
Getting noticed

Fast Lane Setup & Wireless Health

Hi,

I am trying to setup Fast Lane and also to have Wireless Health Packet Latency Dashboard not only filled with Best effort (all other Voice, Video and Background traffic says there is not enough data, I got more than 30 devices and have minimum 4To traffic per month with voice, video, etc....).

My network is using 3x MR52 connected to a MS220 using a 1Go Fiber Internet Access.

I have enroll devices (iPhone, iPad and Mac) using Meraki EMM and create a profile to push Wifi config with Fast Lane enabled using Restrict QoS Marking, enabled "Whitelist Apple audi/video calling" and add around 20 apps in the list like FastLane QoS, Cisco WebEx, YouTube, Whats App, etc...

My problems are :

- when I am using the iOS Cisco App Fast Lane QoS I have always "The app is not whitelisted for Cisco Fast Lane", why ?

- Wireless Health Dashboard Packet Latency is only showing Best Effort Traffic all the others one are displaying "There's not enough data....", why ?

Thanks for any help to set correctly Fast Lane.

Regards,

Nicolas

21 REPLIES 21
kredmore
Getting noticed

I have an open Meraki case for the same Wireless Health Packet Latency only showing Best Effort Traffic. We did all sorts of troubleshooting and trial/error, and still an open issue for Meraki in beta at 30+ days.

In fact same for me, case opened June 12th closed a week later and re-opened yesterday.

What I don't understand :

- how to know that Fast Lane is enabled (is there a change on the display since to have "Fast Lane Capable" we have "Fast Lane Enabled" on the Network-Wide Clients Dashboard ? Even if the iOS Cisco FastLane QoS app says that the app is not Whitelisted !

- how to have the Wireless Health Dashboard with data on each section ? What is the strange I got 2 networks one in Paris-France and one in Madrid-Spain with similar devices and config, Madrid has Wireless Health Dashboard working for the 4 sections Voice, Video, Best Effort and Background Traffic, I don't what's wrong in Paris !!

I am the only one with Wireless Health feature not working ?

Displaying on the latency tab only "Best Effort Traffic" all the other traffic are at zero !!!

Same here, Wireless Health has never worked for us despite it apparently being setup correctly (calls logged and forum posts), I gave up trying in the end, when it was announced I was really looking forward to seeing the stats on the traffic.

jrhop_0-1575909632423.png

DanZ
Getting noticed

Did anyone ever figure out how to get this fixed?  I have the same issue.  We have lots of voice and video traffic at all our sites, but we never see any metrics in Wireless Health > Latency for Voice and Video traffic.2020-07-27_13-47-27.png

jrhop
Getting noticed

Hi @DanZ For us this started working a few firmware updates ago, cant remember which one, was a few months ago. The firmware update highlighted a specific issue with Wireless Health and MR33, which we use exclusively. We also have the default traffic shaping on, as below. We are also using Skype for Business on prem for video/voice and the traffic is tagged for DSCP/QoS via Group Policy.

jrhop_0-1595923854503.png

What firmware are you on and what APs are you using?

DanZ
Getting noticed

Thank you for the response. We are running 26.6.1. I checked the firmware notes for the next release 26.7 and it has this fix:

"Wireless Health Latency only displayed Best Effort traffic (802.11ac Wave 2 MRs)"

That sounds exactly like our problem so I think you are right!  Thank you.

jrhop
Getting noticed

Yeah we are running stable release candidate 26.8.1

Annotation 2020-07-28 143707.jpg

DanZ
Getting noticed

Did the Wireless Health > Latency feature disappear?  I logged into Dashboard today with the hopes of seeing data now that I upgraded to 26.8.1.  The feature seems to be gone.

I only see Overview, Map, and Connection log as my choices.   I used to see Overview, Connections, and Latency.

DanZ_0-1596660994860.png

jrhop
Getting noticed

Same here, but I get a message at the top saying they are making changes.

jrhop_0-1596698154402.png

SamO
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @nscheffer  Im Sam from Meraki MR Product Management. I would like to chat with you and see this issue. Kindly pm me your your phone number and network link and I will be in touch

Sam 

nscheffer
Getting noticed

Hi Sam,

Excellent very good news !

I was so frustrated with the powerful announcement of Wireless Health and the impossibility to use it on my network !

I am based in Paris, France (CET Time) My mobile is [REMOVED] and my Customer ID is [REMOVED]

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Nicolas

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

pm = private message 😉

SamO
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Thanks Nicolas!

I will get in touch with you on this, just for your privacy:)  delete your phone number and customer ID 

Sam 

nscheffer
Getting noticed

Hi Sam,

Ready to contact me !

Impatient to have this fixed, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for your time today during the WebEx session, happy to have someone working on the problem.

Best regards,

Nicolas

SamO
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Sure! Will let yoiu know what I find!

Thanks 

Sam

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

While we're on the subject.
Is there a way you can customly push policy to apps to let their traffic be tagged a certain way on mobile devices like an iOS device?
Like in windows you have a QoS policy under gpedit.

Or are you completely at the mercy of the app writers?

Hi Joe,

For iOS you don't need to do it it's built-in inside the iOS since version 11, it's a partnership between Apple and Cisco called FastLane.

Download the Cisco app on the App Store and you will see if your network has Fastlane configured.

Goad is that each app will add the appropriate COS/DCSP information to provide visibility for the network to be able to handle it properly...

It's magic and there is nothing to be done on the device itself !

On the Network-Wide->Clients you can see if a device has Fastlane enabled or not.

Regards and merry Christmas 

Nicolas

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks, so if I understand you correctly you don't have any control over it.  It's the app developers that choose to send their own markings.

Merry Christmas back!

Yes correct, the app must support it and send appropriate information automatically.

Then if the infrastructure support fast lane like Meraki with MR, MS ans MX traffic will be prioritized according marking information send by the app.

One thing, I am using Meraki MDM to enroll my device (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Android and PC) to setup specific SSID with 802.X using certificate and VPN. By default for each FastLane is set on the UI as Capable.

I am not sure if without MDM you can have Fast Lane ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels