Does WiFi encrypt it's transmission?

SOLVED
NetworkN00b
Conversationalist

Does WiFi encrypt it's transmission?

Hello everyone, this might be a dumb question but do Meraki MR wireless access points transmit in a secure encrypted fashion?In other words, is data transmitted from AP to end-user device?

As far as I know, the security of one's WiFi network lays in how you authenticate users to access your network. If it's too long to explain, I'd appreciate any articles that might speak to this question.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@NetworkN00b I'll just add that @CptnCrnch and @PhilipDAth are correct, and yes, all Meraki MR access points fully support all of the hardware-based AES encryption of WPA2 and all of the standard 802.1X authentication mechanisms, Active Directory integration, etc.  In addition, you have a "Firewall and Traffic Shaping" page where you can configure L2 isolation if needed, L3 and L7 firewall rules, as well as traffic shaping and QoS marking all from that single page.  For more info also check out one of the data sheets here for example.  https://meraki.cisco.com/library

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using WPA2 it is encrypted.  On the whole, the other options are not encrypted.

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@NetworkN00b I'll just add that @CptnCrnch and @PhilipDAth are correct, and yes, all Meraki MR access points fully support all of the hardware-based AES encryption of WPA2 and all of the standard 802.1X authentication mechanisms, Active Directory integration, etc.  In addition, you have a "Firewall and Traffic Shaping" page where you can configure L2 isolation if needed, L3 and L7 firewall rules, as well as traffic shaping and QoS marking all from that single page.  For more info also check out one of the data sheets here for example.  https://meraki.cisco.com/library

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels