DHCP for MR33 AP's

parkesr
New here

DHCP for MR33 AP's

Is there a good reason to use the DHCP services on our MS350 switch rather than our Windows Server DHCP server for our AP management VLAN?

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One reason could be that you still have an infrastructure if your Windows Server fails. But you probably have more important problems without the Windows DHCP than your APs.

Still, for some customers, I put the whole management network for all Meraki Devices on a VLAN that terminates on the firewall. That again increases the likelihood that the infrastructure works regardless of internal failures.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

Only for guest type networks that you want segmented.  This way you don't have any concern about this network having access to the server VLAN.  Other then that.  I prefer Windows DHPC server.  It has more options and easier to configure.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I’m a control freak so would place DHCP services on my switches rather than someone else’s servers.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Devices that get an IP from a Windows DHCP server need a server device CAL, or all the users using the devices need a server user CAL

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels