DHCP Release events

Aizak
New here

DHCP Release events

Dear Meraki Community
Is there a way in which I can download the connection time for all WIFI devices in my network to create a report for attendance, by using the DHCP Release events?
Is there is API option, this would be perfect so I can get the Client name, the time when the IPAddress was given, and last time user was connected.
if someone has tried this, I would really appreciate the help.
we need to confirm the attendance and Wifi Connections seems to be a reliable solution. 

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I very much doubt this is going to provide you what you want. When a machine connects to the network it requests an IP address, and you may through a lookup or another system be able to identify exactly who that machine belongs to. However, very few machines will release an IP address ‘cleanly’, most just go out of range and the lease on the server eventually expires, so you have no idea when a machine actually left. 
If you want to go down an automated attendance path then you might be better off using a location based system, either using the Meraki location APIs to determine which machines are onsite, or using another application (e.g. who’s on location) that can interface with the GPS locator in a device.

AxL1971
Building a reputation

What device is the DHCP server, if its a Windows server,then I am sure you canlook thru the event viewer for DHCP events and use this to get the information you require.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With all kinds of devices randomizing their MAC addresses nowadays, this approach will be very much fuzzy either way you'll be doing this. 😉

Aizak
New here

well, I already got 98% devices identified by owner (by MAC), just needed to download it automatically (export)... not only 30, by 30.. copy paste. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels