DHCP Increase Scope Question

GJ1
Getting noticed

DHCP Increase Scope Question

Hi all,

We've increased our DHCP scope from a /24 to /23 at one of our offices. There we have a lot of Chromebooks on the WiFi. They seem to be the only devices that are having issues with external connectivity. They're getting an IP and knows the gateway to use from the DHCP scope. It can also reach internal devices but not able to reach externally. 

I'm racking my brains as to what could be the problem - I made the necessary changes on the core switch, the domain controller and the firewall.

Is there anything on the Meraki I need to do? The SSID is VLAN tagged to the same VLAN so I haven't changed that.

I don't suppose I need to do anything as I didn't have to when I changed the scope for another office but just wondering

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like a DNS issue,

1. Are all other devices on that same subnet able to access the internet OK

2. Have you tried restoring a Chromebook, possibly they are holding onto old network info. 

3. Are you running a proxy server or anything else that could be blocking its connection, I know captive portals don't work very well on Chromebooks or the Chrome web browser in general.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does the gateway have the new subnet mask of 255.255.254.0, or is it still on 255.255.255.0?

GJ1
Getting noticed

Hi both,

I think I've found the issue. It's not a Meraki issue. The routing on the firewall for the WiFi subnet is still set to a /24 and not /23!

Thanks for the responses. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GJ1 glad I could help and it wasn't some horrible bug!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels