Creating networks to test firmware updates per AP

Solved
Bumblebee
Just browsing

Creating networks to test firmware updates per AP

Hi All

So I created a couple of test networks in the Meraki portal for our AP's so I can push out the latest firmware updates without doing the rest of the AP's.  The issue I am having is when I move some AP's into my new test networks the firmware version on these AP's changes to the latest version which is weird as the logs don't show that they have been upgraded!.  When I move them back they seem to show the previous version.  Also when I do move them to the test networks it doesn't allow me to update them as they think they are on the latest version..  I hope this makes to someone!!

Any help will be much appreciated..

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The question here is, which firmware version is configured for the new network. Be aware that the firmware-version is *not* configured on the AP, it is configured on the network and the APs "inherit" this setting. And when adding a new network, the dashboard automatically assigns a default firmware-version (I think it is the latest stable, but had to check that) to that network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The question here is, which firmware version is configured for the new network. Be aware that the firmware-version is *not* configured on the AP, it is configured on the network and the APs "inherit" this setting. And when adding a new network, the dashboard automatically assigns a default firmware-version (I think it is the latest stable, but had to check that) to that network.

Hi Karstenl

Thanks for your reply.  So my understanding was that the AP's themselves get the firmware update and not the network?.  Obviously this isn't correct.  So how can I create a network with the same firmware version as my other networks?.  As I mentioned the issue I have is that when I move over certain AP's for testing I'm unable to upgrade them as the network will say that they are already on the latest firmware..

Thanks...

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The APs will get the firmware, but based on the settings that are configured for the network. And if you can't upgrade the firmware after moving the AP to the new network, it is already on the desired version.

Configure the firmware version for the network under Organization/Firmware Upgrades.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels