Combined networks with WiFi template

Tuvestam
Here to help

Combined networks with WiFi template

I have combined network without Template (MX and Switch) now i would like to add a WiFi that is connected to a WiFi template. Is this doable.

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are asking can you have a combined network that is a template - yes.

No can I have a WiFi templet (only WiFi) in a combined network. All my WiFi should be the same but switches and MX is very different in every network.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

If I knew for sure that I did not want templated changes on my switches/firewalls, regardless of whether or not I could use a wifi template on a combined network... I wouldn't. I don't like the risk of changes rolling out on equipment that needs to remain unique.

So what can you do?

I see two options:

1. Split each location's wireless network off into an individual network, leaving your other Meraki equipment in a combined network. Apply template to these individual wireless networks.
    1. Problem: You lose easy visibility through the stack.
    2. Problem: That's potentially double your networks, which is a mess.
  2. Use the API to copy-paste SSID changes across your networks every time you need to make a change. This also allows you to exclude networks if you run into a case where Networks A - F need a change, but Network G doesn't.

I'd go the API route, because I prefer to do things with code. I have in fact gone the API route. It's pretty easy. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have a small number of sites, you could also put all the APs in a single WiFi network.

I have one customer with around 400 APs spread over 200 sites that use a single network for all of them.  In this case, they did this because of the way they wanted to use location analytics.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

If you have a small number of sites, you could also put all the APs in a single WiFi network.

I have one customer with around 400 APs spread over 200 sites that use a single network for all of them.  In this case, they did this because of the way they wanted to use location analytics.

That's true, but I admit to really hating this solution. This is partly because my clients always creep into wanting exceptions for this place but not that one, and I have to implement them. That's a my-customers problem tho.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels