Clients recommenden per AP

mgonzalez
Conversationalist

Clients recommenden per AP

Hi everyone! How many clients is recommended to have per AP in a videoconference deployment using Microsoft Teams? MR46 model is being used, users support 802.11ax standard. It is an office environment. 25 per radio would be ideal? or less? Thanks.

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Up to 30 is a good number, but each case is different.

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per AP, type of traffic also matters, if the type of traffic is mostly emails, web browsing, etc ... then the value can go up to 35 clients per AP. If the type of traffic is video then the value is around 8 to 10 clients per AP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As said above, 25-30 is a good rule of thumb but you can certainly have more clients connected for more casual usage.

The more you know about the client device specs and how the use cases of the end users, the better you can estimate.

There used to be a good video from Aerohive on YouTube that did a full breakdown of how to calculate it all out. If I can ever find it again I'll post it up here.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Video is very bandwidth-demanding.  For "best performance" Microsoft recommends allowing 4Mb/s per client.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network 

I have seen one company impose a 720p video limit in Teams because they ran out of capacity.  Note in the link if you search for "WiFi" you'll find recommendations from Microsoft about use over WiFi.

If you are bored, this is the Meraki VoIP best practice guide:

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

If it was me, I could go for 20 users per AP (not per RADIO).  I would disable 2.4Ghz.  I would require anything that can not support 5Ghz or 6Ghz to be replaced.

I would not feel confident of getting that much consistent clear spectrum to make it work really well with higher client counts.

Forget WiFi for the moment - with 25 x 4Mb/s streams, you will need 100Mb/s of free Internet bandwidth as well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels