Clients can't access Internet

Micspive
New here

Clients can't access Internet

In the last few weeks we have been seeing clients randomly drop from the WLAN and display the "no internet" notice.  Yesterday every client on the WLAN (15) lost access. I have internet access, I can connect directly to the internet gateway and access the internet, I can also access my portal and make changes to the settings using my laptop though a mifi connection.  I disabled both ssids and enabled them.  I watched them drop from my menu on the laptop and they reappeared when I enabled them.  So I know the changes were communicated to the MX.  

So I can get into the network, clients just can't get out......

3 REPLIES 3
Micspive
New here

BTW, this solution has been up and running with no issues for two years.  No changes have been made since we changed internet providers 3 months ago. It is a very static environment .

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

From your description (mentioned MX and running over 2 years), I'm guessing this is an MX64W appliance?  Since everything was working fine, and there have been no changes (other than getting a new ISP 3 months ago) make a few quick checks and if nothing jumps out then open a case with Meraki Support.  Sounds like the MX has Internet connectivity and you're actively making changes in Dashboard that are showing up in the local environment, so that's good so far.  Have you rebooted the equipment?  It sounds like you can jack into a wired port on the MX with your laptop and get full access over a wired connection, so it's just wireless clients that can no longer get out?  Can the wireless clients actually associate to the SSID, and bring up a web browser and go to my.meraki.com and see the local status page?  Try accessing that my.meraki.com page from a browser on your laptop both when wired into a port and then again when connected over wireless.

Also take a look at Organization > Change Log and review that to see if there may have been any type of unintended change, you'll be able to see who, when and what change was made, if there even was a change, along with the old and new values.  Also take a look at the Network Wide > Event log.  If this is a "W" version of an MX, in the "Event Type Include" box type in "802" and select all 802.11 events, and see if clients are associating and disassociating,  You can also filter on "All Client Events" and see if and what client activity there might be, see if any clues turn up there.  

Also take a peek at Organization > Firmware Upgrades and see if maybe there was an automatic firmware update during your pre-defined upgrade window (under Network Wide > Configure > General) that you didn't realize might have happened.  If there was a change, you may be able to roll back from that page, and if not, Meraki Support can roll back to any specific firmware version.  

I'm assuming there's nothing policy related either that might be suddenly blocking wireless clients.  But as a quick test, define another SSID with a simple WPA2 PSK and everything else at the defaults, then associate to it and see if you can get out.

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Micspive, Is this still an issue? We are here to help if it still persists.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels