Cisco ISE Captive Portal

boomsfib
Comes here often

Cisco ISE Captive Portal

I've got a strange issue going on and not sure what could be the cause. 

I'm setting up a Wireless Guest SSID using Identity PSK with Radius and Cisco ISE as my Splash Page.  If I use the private IP addresses of my ISE servers in the Radius Server fields, everything works fine and I get my redirect url from ISE for the Captive Portal page, the page loads and I'm able to accept.

However, if I try to use the FQDN of my ISE servers in the Radius Server fields, I get redirected to my Captive Portal page, but the page does not load, and instead I get an ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE.  

3 REPLIES 3
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

That probably means that the AP wasn't able to resolve your Cisco ISE FQDN. Double check the DNS configuration of the AP and take a packet capture on the LAN and watch for the DNS queries.

At first this is what I thought.  But traceroutes and pings to fqdn from the AP resolve and servers are reachable.  And the radius flow is actually working, I see my device going through my Guest Portal Sequence in ISE.  It's when I get redirected to ISE's splash page that I get the error message and the page won't load. 

Redirect coming from ISE for splash page is formatted as 'https://<privateip>:8443/.....'  I've also tried substituting the privateip with the fqdn, but I get same results. 

However, if I use private ip of ISE as radius server instead of fqdn, ISE's splash page 'https://<privateip>:8443/.....' loads just fine.  I just don't understand why using private ip vs fqdn in the radius server field would have any effect on the splash page loading.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Isn't it your client that needs to resolve the ISE FQDN.
In case of a webauth situation you are already layer 2 authenticated and can communicate layer 3 but your requests get redirected.

In case of Meraki AP's you need to make sure your ISE FQDN's are added to the walled garden so the requests don't get redirected.

I hope this helps.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels