Band Steering for Meraki Z3

Quimax
Getting noticed

Band Steering for Meraki Z3

We're adding a couple of Z3 units to our organization. As I'm testing I noticed that my laptop only connects at 2.4GHz and went looking for the Band Steering settings, but they aren't there.

Am I missing something? Or do the Z3 units not support band steering?

5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I dont know if its on or off but you cant configure  it.  (Could be on, reading this )

Try lower the dbm  of the 2.4ghz at the z3. Or try to tune  the laptop  wifi  interface/driver to prefer 5ghz. 

Also make sure the wifi driver is up to date

Quimax
Getting noticed

Some further reading and experimenting since posting. My Windows laptop  "sticks" with 2.4GHz, unless I manually change the laptop to use 5.2GHz with the Intel tools. My wife's Linux laptop automatically went to 5.2GHz.

I have a couple of devices that are 2.4-only, so I actually don't want to turn off or down the 2.4GHz.

At least I know I'm not going crazy.

DensyoV
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi 

Band steering is only supported on Meraki APs. The MX with wireless capability or the Z3 don't have this capability. If you want devices to connect to the 5Ghz, set the transmit power of the 2.4Ghz to the minimum. 

Thanks,

Please hit kudos if you found this post helpful and/or click "accept as solution" if this solved your problem.
Quimax
Getting noticed

Good to know that is the case, I was unable to find that listed in any documentation.

Seems odd to have crippled/sub-par wifi in the routers when the core of the business has always been excellent wifi.

What about smart devices that only connect at 2.4Ghz?  I have a fan that only will connect to a 2.4. I have not been able to connect to my new Z3 AP as the device probably see the 2 bands and gets confused.  Any solutions to this issue? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels