About mac address bypass authentication

ericliu
Comes here often

About mac address bypass authentication

Does meraki support mac address bypass authentication? Does a ssid support both mac address authentication and 8021.x username and password authentication? That is, the 8021.x authentication with the mac address authentication priority. If I need both authentication methods, do I need to create the SSID separately? I remember that Cisco can implement two authentication methods in one ssid.

2 REPLIES 2
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Kind of, I believe if you have a mac whitelisted it won't be required to 802.1x authenticate.  But be careful with whitelisting, it can exempt the client from a lot of other things (content filtering, traffic shaping etc).  There may be a better way of accomplishing your goal depending on the requirements.  Policies etc.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using 802.1x then you can't bypass that.

This is the guide for configure MAC based RADIUS authentication.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Enabling_MAC_based_access_control_...

In your case - you will need to create two SSIDs, one configured for 802.1x and one configured the MAC authentication.  Note that MAC authentication does not use any encryption of the data sent over the wire.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels