AP has too many associations

GoMurica
Comes here often

AP has too many associations

Can anyone tell me what the log message "AP has too many associations" means? 

8 REPLIES 8
american_nisei
Getting noticed

Yes, I get those too as well.   What's weird is this happens a lot when there are only 7 or 8 actual connections.  

Are they MR33's?  We had this issue when we added some MR33's, you have to use the latest beta to resolve it.  Certainly, at the time (a few weeks ago) the current stable didn't actually support an MR33.

GoMurica
Comes here often

They are indeed MR33s. So all I need to do is update the firmware? 

Yes, to the beta firmware. Just be aware to read the release notes in case the beta introduces other problems.

We are running the beta, but have an open Meraki ticket as there is a bug with radius accounting messages but it’s better than not having clients connect to the APs.
Donnie
Conversationalist

geez ... what a nightmare. The latest and greatest firmware (24.12) has not solved my problem. I have 4 MR33's and all day long I get users bumped off the network with "AP has too many associations".  The particular AP below has a max of 7 clients throughout the day. I'm rebooting the AP constantly in an effort to keep these people working (sales environment). I'm very unpopular this week. I'll keep looking for a solution but was hoping Cisco would come out with something soon ... it used to work beautifully.

meraki-mr33-too-many.jpg

pjc
A model citizen

Epic fail with having different model AP's in the same network, but some models need to run on Beta and others on production, but when you upgrade firmware, you have to apply it to every AP in the network

So the only answer is to create another network, replicate all of the settings, client whitelists, etc, put the (MR33) AP's in that new network and apply a later firmware version to it...what a faff, c'mon Meraki sort it out

JRH
Here to help

Meraki support can pin firmware versions to specific APs so you can run different firmware on APs in the same network.

Pedro
Getting noticed

@Donnie

I also use the MR33. And I have the same problems.

There is no solution or they simply take over the problem or change the solution.

See this post is just that.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Constant-association-disassociation/td-p/2772

Good luck.

Pedro

Pedro Constantino
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels