AP Traffic Shaping

american_nisei
Getting noticed

AP Traffic Shaping

Does anyone have suggestions regarding AP traffic shaping?  I am interested in making sure that streaming type traffic such as VoIP, video conferencing, real-time collaborative work such as Google Docs or Office 365 work smoothly.  I'm looking at per client and per SSID bandwidth limits and didn't know what are some good settings might be. 

Thanks!

~Doug

9 REPLIES 9
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hello Doug,

Take a look at this article on traffic shaping for SSID's. - https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_and_Bandwidth_Shaping.

In regards to recommendations for settings there's not really any specific defacto standard and would more or less be configured as per your business/traffic requirements. My recommendation obviously would be to Prioritise business critical applications (Office 365, Google Docs, Any VoIP traffic.)

Let me know how you get on/if you have any questions.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On the whole - if you aren't experiencing a problem I probably wouldn't put in place specific limits.

Yep, I get what you are saying.  Here's my scenario.  The location is a large co-working environment 15K sq ft and are running a member SSID and a guest SSID and a third meeting SSID.   Was thinking it would be good to set up something so that a few users would not consume the majority of the bandwidth or that a SSID would not consume all of the bandwidth, thereby protecting the other SSIDs.  

In that case perhaps trying enabling per user bandwidth limits so no one person can consume all the bandwidth.

Thanks for the quick response!! Do you have any recommendations on bandwidth limits? Wasn't sure how strict to be...don't want people griping that the WIFI is slow.

I would suggest restricting each user between 10 and 25% of the total available bandwidth. Depending on the circuit speeds.

Following that keep an eye on users and adjust as necessary.

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

Example with 150/150 WANExample with 150/150 WAN

Here is a sample SSID Firewall/Traffic shaping that we utilize. We have a 150/150 and a 100/100 WAN connection to this appliance. This particular SSID is for guest access, averaging around 500-800 daily concurrent connections. Works well for us, and minimal complaints.

BHC Resorts IT Department

Sweet!!! THIS is very helpful indeed!

@american_nisei wrote:
Sweet!!! THIS is very helpful indeed!

No problem! Don't L7 block all online backup, as the "iCloud" rule blocks WiFi iMessage.

BHC Resorts IT Department
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels