vlans at home- ms220-8p

drago
Just browsing

vlans at home- ms220-8p

I am using a meraki ms220-8p switch at home with ATT internet.

any idea how I can setup vlans on this switch?  My ATT router doesnt have any layer 3 routing capabilities. any idea what I need?

28 Replies 28
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS220 is a layer 2 switch. VLAN's cannot be created on the switch as per the MS350/other layer 3 switches as they do not perform inter-VLAN (Layer 3 capabilities).

To assign certain VLAN's to different ports on the MS220, Switch>Switch Ports>Click on the port. Change the Type to your desired (Trunk, Access) and then tag the VLAN appropriately.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm pretty sure that hte MS220-8 has no L3 capabilities. It is only a L2 switch.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_ms220_compact.pdf

You will need a layer 3 switch or a router.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And with the (non-existent) L3 capabilities of the MS220-8 being defined, a Meraki MX would be a great addition to your network. But it will be an expensive hobby to improve your home network this way.

drago
Just browsing

can you recommend a home router? what kind of MX appliance. my home network is currently flat 192.168.0.0/24

I want to have 3 vlans

192.168.1.0/24

192.168.2.0/24

192.168.3.0/24

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most important is the desired Throughput. What is your internet-speed?

For a home environment, and if you accept to put in some work, an open-source firewall could also be used that you run on a dedicated PC with two NICs. There are also dedicated appliances for this like this one:

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=287

drago
Just browsing

i dont want to use a PC or computer. I am only looking for cisco or MX device to do the routing. My internet speed is 1GBps

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Despite being an advocate of Meraki gear, an MX75 is pretty expensive for a home network.

If your only requirement is a Cisco device that does L3 routing with 1Gbps throughput and you're comfortable with Cisco CLI, you could always pick up a second hand Cisco router or L3 switch cheaply. Old Cisco ISR's probably go pretty cheaply. Or something like an RV340 would probably do the job.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

ISRs are loud if they touch the 1Gig with services. I would assume that a L3 switch will not work. Very likely he needs NAT on the device if the ISP device can't set static routes.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-family-datasheet/?file

Maybe a MX75.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

is there a fanless option? MX 67?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Although the MX75 has a fan, at least I only hear it when I put my ear directly on the device.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use a MX67, but remember the maximum throughput is 600 Mbps.

what is the next level? dont rally want loud humming sound

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If "not hearable" is too loud, there is likely no other option.

drago
Just browsing

I have a  WS-C3560CG-8PC-S L3 switch as well connected to the ATT router. Can i use that?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For sure.

drago
Just browsing

how? Right now, my ATT router is the only DHCP source for my flat vlan. If broke it up into vlans, can the L3 switch be used as a DHCP server?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you to study about Cisco Switches and network configuration. Start for here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dXBN8a-X2U

And yes, you can configure Cisco switch as DHCP server, just confirm If your firmware Is LAN base:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture-subjects/lan-base-in-2960x-switches/td-p/3...

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/how-to-configure-dhcp-server-on-cisco-switc...

drago
Just browsing

where would I connect the ATT router to allow all vlans access to internet?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@drago,

Look this exemple. 

The ATT router is your internet link, and the Cisco 3650 is your network's Core. You will have to create a link between the Router and the switch core and create a default route in the siwtich Core pointing to the IP of the Router, Ex:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.100.1

Going back to the example your local network is 192.168.200.0/24
So, you would have to create a return route on your router, which I believe is not possible. So I don't think it will work.

alemabrahao_0-1665055668620.png

you are right, I dont have any option to add a static route on the ATT Internet router. Does this mean I am not able to create vlans? I do need internet access for all vlans

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Using ATT Internet Router is not possible. You need a router or firewall where you can configure the public IP directly on the network interface.

Is this internet link dedicated?

internet link is dedicated. Ethernet come in on the ATT Router. Then 4 private ports to use as internal interfaces. 

Can i put in a router between the ATT router and my L3 switch to do vlans?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yep, In your case It will be the best solution.

Something like that:

alemabrahao_0-1665505136133.png

drago
Just browsing

this is from my 3560 switch. Is it LAN base?

sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3560C Software (C3560c405ex-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(2)E7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 12-Jul-17 16:08 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3560C boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3560C Boot Loader (C3560C-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(55r)EX1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

c3560cg-home uptime is 3 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 17 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7.bin"
Last reload reason: Unknown reason

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

License Level: ipbase
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: ipbase

cisco WS-C3560CG-8PC-S (PowerPC) processor (revision A0) with 131072K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC1515W4P9
Last reset from power-on

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@drago your switch is one better:

License Level: ipbase

That should do fine for what you need.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels