new meraki ms250 switches

SOLVED
JustinGA
Getting noticed

new meraki ms250 switches

hi everyone, we have started to roll out meraki ms250 switches at work. They are very different from 2960s and are an interesting challenge.

My Nexus 9k switches have a Virtual portchannel on the uplinks and the existing 2960s have that as well...

Will I need to disable that on the 9k interface or is there a way I can add a VPC onto the ms250s?

I havent found anything in the documentation regarding it... so any help or advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You use the ports that connect to the neighbour switch. These are typically two or four of your uplink ports on the MS that connect to your Core/Distribution-Switch (The Nexus 9k)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the Meraki switches support port-channels with LACP. The Nexus needs a port-config similar to that:

channel-group X mode active

thank you, how would i configure that on the Meraki though?

The 9k ports are already setup in that configuration. 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just go to Switch -> Switchports , select the right ports and select "Aggregate":

KarstenI_0-1641219875575.png

Hi Kastenl!

I just found that we DO have this enabled on our Nexus switches. Will I need to set anything on the uplink port on the MS250? or should it just work automatically?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There will nothing be adjusted automatically. You need to configure the aggregated Interface on the MS corresponding to the Nexus. For example both are trunk, both have the same allowed VLANs.

ok thank you, the port is set as a trunk. its online allowing all the vlans.

however, there is only 1 uplink being used on the MS250. 

The NEXUS was setup for portchannel, but never used. Thats what Im trying to determine, if there will be any potential issues!

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If there is only one link and no plan to add a second, then I would not aggregate them. It will work, but the second link in the bundle will be constantly listed as failed.

JustinGA
Getting noticed

I guess I dont understand the correct settings or the function of the port channel/aggregate.

how would i know which ports to use?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You use the ports that connect to the neighbour switch. These are typically two or four of your uplink ports on the MS that connect to your Core/Distribution-Switch (The Nexus 9k)

OH ok I gotcha now, i was confused for a second but I THINK im on the right track.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels