extend Layer 2

kau
Conversationalist

extend Layer 2

Requirnment.PNGI need to extend one subnet/VLAN from one site to another site. Which Meraki product can help me with this requirement?

9 REPLIES 9
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

What kind of link do you have available to achieve this?   If you have a layer-2 link  (ethernet or an ethernet emulation, such as VPLS) then any Meraki MS switching will allow this.  If the medium support 802.1Q, you can also extend multiple VLANs across the same link.

kau
Conversationalist

We have two internet links and need to stretch one subnet from A to B. I have attached an image to my original post with my requirement if that helps. 

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You may use an MX terminating a Teleworker VPN from an MR36H. This would be a Layer 2 extension, however this is not the recommended use of that technology.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/MR_Teleworker_VPN

Does this subnet on both sites going active / active on this case or Active on Site A and Passive on Site B. Just want to understand one more step.

kau
Conversationalist

Both subnets going to be active. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you want to extend It for a specific case? I think you can use routing in that case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
kau
Conversationalist

yes, we need to do this for a specific reason. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @GreenMan  said, VPLS is what you need.  We have it in the UK and it works well 👍

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need some datacenter interconnect that supports your VXLAN needs.  However you can use Meraki MX devices to connect your branch offices to both datacenters if those are configured in concentrator mode.  You can then load balance branches coming in DC-1 and others to DC-2 if you use BGP between your MX'es and the routers in both Datacenters who will be handling the VX-LAN and routing outside of the datacenter.

So in effect there is no Meraki device that does the VXLAN technology or other layer 2 DC interconnect technology but the Meraki devices are used to connect all your branches towards those services.

You should checkout the BGP documentation: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels