connectivity information between a switch and a firewall

SOLVED
MerakiBeginner
Here to help

connectivity information between a switch and a firewall

hello,

Is there a display showing the interface connectivity between a switch and a firewall, both are MERAKI product ?

I don't find where is the display about CDP/LLDP information.

a switch is connected to a firewall port, but I don't know  which interface.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ByronC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Greetings!

Currently the Meraki MX devices do not display CDP/LLDP neighbor information on a per interface level. The best information available on the dashboard will show active interfaces (on Security Appliance -> Appliance Status page)  and assigned VLANs (Security Appliance -> Addressing & VLANs page) can assist you with narrowing down which device is connected where.

As a last resort, in a maintenance window when you can allow downtime, you can disable the port on the Firewall and see which device goes offline (or changes uplink ports if you have redundant connections).

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To be clear; you have a Meraki switch and you want to know which port a firewall is plugged into?

Go:

Network Wide/Clients

Type in the IP address of the firewall.  It will show up as a client.  On the far right hand side click the "+" and add the columns "Connected to" and "Port".

You will now know which switch and port the device is connected to.

Hello Philip DAth,

Very good suggestion.

Unfortunaly, on my site, the FW IP's addresses neither its MAC address are found with a network wide > client > display. Maybe because the FW  release or I don't look for the good IP address (I used the one to manage it and some local vlan ones).

Anyway I'll test it again on another site.

Regards,

ByronC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Greetings!

Currently the Meraki MX devices do not display CDP/LLDP neighbor information on a per interface level. The best information available on the dashboard will show active interfaces (on Security Appliance -> Appliance Status page)  and assigned VLANs (Security Appliance -> Addressing & VLANs page) can assist you with narrowing down which device is connected where.

As a last resort, in a maintenance window when you can allow downtime, you can disable the port on the Firewall and see which device goes offline (or changes uplink ports if you have redundant connections).

Hope that helps!

Hello ByronC,

ok thank you.

Temporary activation for a short time CDP/LLDP would be great. I understand that it is not by default for security reason.

Regards,

Jean-David

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels