bpdu Filter

Adoos
Building a reputation

bpdu Filter

Hi,

Does Meraki have BPDU filter anywhere as an option?

Thanks

Adam

11 REPLIES 11
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey there,

Nope, there is no BPDU Filter on a Meraki switch. But you can disable STP completely. 

mattmar
Comes here often

Disabling STP on a switch is typically a very bad idea.. Too bad no way to disable STP on a port level.

This thread might be old, but I've been told that if you turn off RSTP on the port, that the switch will no longer send BPDU frames out that port. Is that what you meant @jdsilva from your comment above about turning off STP? Or are you talking about a switch-wide, or network-wide option that I'm not aware of?

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

I was referring to disabling STP at the port level, yes. You can also disable STP on all switches in the network under Switch > Switch settings. 

Ah ok so that is confirmed then. Changing RSTP will disable STP on port.

When I read RSTP, I think oh ok, its going to turn off RSTP but the slow STP will still be enabled. I guess that was my confusion.

TwitterLinkedIn

Yeh that's a good point. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Configuring_Spanning_Tree_on_Meraki_...

So right at the very top of that doc is says both STP and RSTP are supported. Further down in the explanations of the network-wide disable, and port level disable, it says it kills STP completely for the scope each setting is applicable too. I don't see in there any way to force a port into STP mode. I know in Cisco Catalyst RSTP implementations if an RSTP bridge detects an STP BPDU on a port is changes the mode of that port to STP for interoperability purposes (and thus slows down convergence of the entire RSTP domain), so perhaps it's the same with Meraki? Dunno, never had to connect an 802.1D bridge to an MS. 

Thanks @jdsilva 

I'm so blind lol. I went through that document but somehow glazed over the part I was actually looking for.

TwitterLinkedIn
pstewart
Getting noticed

If you go into the port configuration on a switch there are options there that might interest you .. 

Monitor -> Switch Ports -> Port X -> STP Guard

Paul

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@pstewart wrote:

If you go into the port configuration on a switch there are options there that might interest you .. 

Monitor -> Switch Ports -> Port X -> STP Guard

Paul

Hi @pstewart,

There's no BPDU Filter option in there. Only "guards".

yes that's correct .. but those may be "interesting options" for the original poster to consider is all I was saying .. 

Adoos
Building a reputation

All good, appreciate the information. I made a wish. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels