What is the best network topology for audio?

egeerdes
Here to help

What is the best network topology for audio?

Greetings everyone,

My name is Ethan and I am slightly new to routing and switching in the broadcast industry. I want to make my network fault tolerant but optimized for audio transmission. In my research, I am pretty sure I need to remove all loops, disable RSTP, and I think link aggregation should be implemented but, am not confident on the actual implementation. Would I just link aggregate to the next switch, like a bus topology? I found some switch stacking cables and I am thinking of possibly using those as well. My network is meraki based, I have 4 main switches, and 1 inside a studio. I also have 2 of the mx250's and want to integrate them both for high availability. Any guidance / experience sharing would be awesome. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

lots to chew on. Thank you.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What switch models do you have, how many locations do they live in and is your traffic mainly in the site or mostly to outside servers etc.?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hopefully the 3 main switches are stackable.  Simply stack them,  RSTP won't cause any issues if the network is loop free, so I wouldn't worry about touching that.

Use a pair of cables to the fourth switch, and combine them into a channel using LACP.

Ports that go to devices should be configured as access ports.  Ports between switches should be configured as trunk ports.

I would tend to connect each MX250 to a different single switch (one MX to one MS, and the other MX to a different MS), to maintain everything loop free.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels