Asher
Here to help

Vlans dont communicate between meraki MS425 and Ms250

Hello,

Providing the LLD below.

design.PNG

On MS425 i have created vlans as below.

design1.PNG

on MS250( Access Sw) i have made port 40 accessing Vlan 101 and port 41 accessing vlan 102 and connected laptops on each port. laptop "X" connected on port 40 accessing vlan 101 laptop ip  is of same subnet of Vlan 101 interfaace and latop 2 connected on port 41 Vlan 102 laptop ip of same subnet of Vlan 102 and gateway of latop is the interface IP on Vlan.

Questions:

1. Do i have to create same  Vlans on MS 250 as well to enable layer 3 routing?

I would be glad if you can help to understand how the vlans can communicate with each other.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.

The ports that connect the MS250 and MS425 should be trunk ports.  Then on the MS250 configure the ports with machines plugged into them as access ports and specify the VLAN they should be placed in.  Their traffic will then be trunk at layer 2 from the MS250 to the MS425 and the MS425 will do the routing.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Where are VLANS 101 and 102 currently configured?

in your example I You’ll only need to configure those access layer VLANS (anything connected to the MS250 ports) on the MS250 switches. 

You’ll want to create a seperate switch network for your MS425 switches and create the VLANS on these switches where you have devices connected to these switches. I.e Storage, DMZ.

youll then want to run OSPF between the MS425’s and MS250’s.

so to answer your question, surely the layer 3 gateway/domain will terminate on the MS250’s which will natively perform inter-vlan routing as long as no ACLs are configured.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Vlan 101 & 102 are in MS 425.( all the vlans are on ms425 primary and other is Warm spare)

Do you mean I have to enable OSPF in VLANs as below?

Capture.PNG

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Do you have VLAN's 101 & 102 allowed on your uplink from the 250's to the 425's? All of the inter-VLAN routing should be happing on the 425's right now. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.

The ports that connect the MS250 and MS425 should be trunk ports.  Then on the MS250 configure the ports with machines plugged into them as access ports and specify the VLAN they should be placed in.  Their traffic will then be trunk at layer 2 from the MS250 to the MS425 and the MS425 will do the routing.

And there is no need to run OSPF on the MS250, unless you also want to make that a part of your layer 3 design (which is probably not needed).

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

And there is no need to run OSPF on the MS250, unless you also want to make that a part of your layer 3 design (which is probably not needed).

Agreed on the OSPF. There is not really a need to run it here, although the original network diagram included it. It is very simple to run OSPF between Meraki devices, but it's not needed and the MS425's can certainly handle the routing. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Hi Mrcur,

Thanks for the response.

Inter VLAN routing is happening from Ms250 as well.

Dear,

Is there any way I can Advertise my network while using Warm Spare(H.A)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels