VLan not working between 4 floors

NunoFlora
Here to help

VLan not working between 4 floors

I have a 4 floors building with 16 switches and MX450 lots of Vlans and everything works.

All the switches are connected to MX450 and can see each other.

I can connect from any point of the building to any vlan but the

Bodet Master Clock

that is in a Vlan just for him and all the speakers and clocks that it uses.

I can login to all the speakers IPv4 and config everything I can connect to the bodet master clock but when I try to pass sound to the speakers I can only do that floor by floor !

If I want to play music in the 1st floor I have to connect to a 1st Floor switch if I want to play in the 2nd floor I need to connect to a switch in the 2nd floor !!!

this is very strange since I can see all of them in the network and connect to everyone from any switch on any floor but music only passes if I'm in that floor.

8 REPLIES 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked the trunk port configuration on all switches? 

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I have Allowed VLANs "All" in all the switches

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I have no experience with Bodet. Does it require multicast to operate? A few google results and other users with problems seem to imply it does/can use multicast.

multicast.png

Yes it does use multicast

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need a IGMP Querier (or disable  igmp snooping, not recommended)

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Multicast-Basic-s/m-p/25706#M2118

mweber560
Getting noticed

Did you set it up as an isolated VLAN? Are you on the same vlan the entire time between where you are trying to play the music to versus where you are playing it from or does it have to route between vlans? If you have to route between vlans do you have an ACL in place at the firewall that might be creating some issues? I can't see where multicast would be an issue if it is all on the same VLAN. I don't know if what you are trying to do requires bonjour forwarding or not. Is any of this over WiFi?

Matthew R Weber, CMSS, CCNP
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My guess is this needs multicast to work.  Using the MX450 as the network core won't be the right solution here.  It doesn't support multicast, spanning tree, etc.

Ideally, you want a pair of [layer 3] switches to be your network core.  Then you run all the other switches into those core switches.  Your MX450 also plugs into the network core.

Not 100% sure on this one, but you should be able to keep the MX450 doing the core routing (if you like), and just enable multicast routing on the core switches between the VLANs.  The L3 network core would need a L3 interface in each VLAN though.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Unddevice ports should be tagged into a VLAN, the trunk ports between the switches you can allow to "all" VLANS.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels