VLAN, IPSec tunnelling and routing

SOLVED
kpronoyc
Conversationalist

VLAN, IPSec tunnelling and routing

Hello,

We have the following configuration:

1. MX84 - router (LAN1 port to WAN uplink)

2. MS120-24p Switch (connected to LAN3 port on the router)

We have 2 VLANs on the security appliance.

1. VLAN1 (default): 192.168.128.0/24

2. VLAN2              :  192.168.33.0/24

LAN3 port is configured as trunk with native VLAN1 but allowing all VLANs

One of the ports on the switch is configured to work on VLAN2 with following properties:

Type: Access

VLAN: 2

Link: auto

Trusted: Disabled

When I connect a device to this switch port it gets the anticipated IP address and I am able to reach public internet.

Now we have Non Meraki VPN Peer configured with AWS IPSec policy with availability to all networks. The subnet we want routed through this tunnel is VLAN2 (192.168.33.0/24)

But we can't seem to reach the remote destination IP from either of the VLANs. I don't see the routes under `netstat -r` either.

How do I go about de-bugging this and is the configuration correct if we want to be able to reach the remote server over the tunnel from VLAN2. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you configured your AWS Security Group to allow the traffic from your VLANs?

Have you definitely selected to include the subnet in the VPN on the MX (under Security Appliance/Addressing and VLANs)?

Screenshot from 2018-10-11 13-47-42.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you configured your AWS Security Group to allow the traffic from your VLANs?

Have you definitely selected to include the subnet in the VPN on the MX (under Security Appliance/Addressing and VLANs)?

Screenshot from 2018-10-11 13-47-42.png

Hi Philip,

I hadn't configured it to be in VPN. I've done that, but nothing changed on testing side. I was however able to see connectivity green light on the appliance's routing table against the tunnel route

The remote server belongs to a third party so we're working with them to monitor the network logs. Having said that, are there any other things I could check on our end? 

Okay so we were given the incorrect remote IPSec subnet. We solved it once we got the right subnet. 

Now is there a way to access this remote subnet from a subnet on our end that is not being forwarded through the tunnel?

Would it be possible to initiate traffic from say a host on 192.168.89.8 (Client VPN subnet)--> 192.0.2.1

to remote IPSec subnet but via the forwarded subnet 192.168.33.0/24?

Just curious how that would work, if it would work.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the remote end wont add it your client VPN subnet - so you really do want to access the remote end of the VPN from a subnet of yours not being forwarded via the VPN - then you'll need to use something like a proxy or a jump host.

Got it, thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels