Ugly Patch Panel Cables

Kyojuro
Here to help

Ugly Patch Panel Cables

Hello, 

This isn't necessarily a Meraki MS post but a general networking question. 

I recently setup a network closet picture attached and while everything works perfectly, the cables look "ugly" due to it being stiff and twisting which doesnt look very good. 

Does anybody know a trick to straighten the cables out so they look better? 

Thank you. 

Kyojuro_0-1674500745202.png

8 REPLIES 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use a cable organizer (I'm don't know the real name in English).

alemabrahao_0-1674501293881.jpeg

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First tip - use slim-line patch leads for patch panels like this:
https://cdlnz.com/PLSY-C6-025 

If you have to run the cables "aerially" like that, velcro tie them into bundles of 6 or 8.

IMG_20181111_172644.jpg

When you have a lot of cables, cable management bars really help.  I quite like the "fingered" variety, like:
https://cdlnz.com/PP-CMC01
You take the lid off, run the cables, and then put the lid back on to make it tidy.  This is an example using both horitzontal and vertical fingers (the vertical fingers don't have their lid on here).

IMG_20200606_213324.jpg

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You might be able to get some inspiration with this "before and after" thread.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Off-the-Stack/Before-and-After-Pictures/m-p/4650 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

While I do like the look of a tidy network cabinet for me practicality comes first, your cables look easy to trace / replace so if it was me I'd be leaving as is, tidying them is going to cost money which to me is a waste. 

As long as I don't need to spend 5 mins looking for a cable I'm happy for them to be "ugly" 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess you are using 25cm long cables on your pic.  There also are 15 cm which are more tight in their loop.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The cabling job only looks a little ugly because you've got a longer cable than is necessary so your eye just see's the big loops.

As @GIdenJoe mentioned, getting some shorter cables might help.

Some other general guidelines:

- Micro/Slimline cables make a world of difference

- Cable management (where it works)

- Velcro cut to various sizes as needed

- Try to keep cable runs going to similar sides of the rack. Eg. Most cables going to switch 1go left while cables going to switch 2 go right. Or left half of the switch runs left, right half of the switch runs right.

- Where possible, use appropriately sized cables. In the real world this isn't always possible but the worst cabling jobs are where you find a 2m ethernet cable for a 20cm connection, and the rest of it is looped up somewhere.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

If that is ugly, you haven't seen much, lol.  I would let it go, but if a customer is bugging you then try a different brand of cables, or hide them in a cabinet or with a covered cable manager.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
amelendez
Here to help

I have a mix of mostly 6 inch patch cables there are some 12 inch and longer here.

image.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels