Twinax compatibility

steakandeggs
Here to help

Twinax compatibility

A customer wants 5m twinax cables, but the only cables Meraki sells are 1m and 3m, such as MA-CBL-TA-3M. Do the standard Cisco twinax cables work fine with Meraki switches, such as Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M?

7 Replies 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@steakandeggs as it looks like you are using them for a device connection, as opposed to stacking, then they should be fine.  We use Dell DACs without issue.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've wondered about this for quite a while.  Why does Meraki only offer up to 3m TwinAx.  Are the SFP+ ports lacking sufficient power to drive a 5m cable reliably?  Do they have some kind of timing issue?

I've changed my designs to only use the Meraki 3m cables to be safe (it would be expensive for me to get this wrong for a customer and have to pay to swap out for fibre).

If you try it out, let us know how it goes.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is a great question and one would wonder if maximum power draws are in the SFP standards or if every vendor tries to keep within their own specs.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I've also used Cisco branded 7M twinax between switches and switches/MXs and it's been fine. Not saying it's officially supported. Just saying what I've tried and what I experienced.

I'm not aware of passive 7m TwinAx cables.  Did you use active TwinAx?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I've not used them, but FS sell 7m DACs: https://www.fs.com/uk/products/39292.html?attribute=1325&id=222677

Their "Cisco" 10Gbase-T transceivers work well with Meraki

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is interesting to know!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels