Switches on network see all devices in network as direct-connect clients

TMaki
Comes here often

Switches on network see all devices in network as direct-connect clients

Inherited this network from a previous engineer, I THINK I know what's going on but I need another set of eyes.

We have a small network, an MX95 firewall performing L3 duties, three switches direct-connected to it (A, B, and C), and two more switches downstream from A (A1 and A2). Switch A has access clients as well as the switch A1 and A2 trunks. RTSP is globally enabled, switch A is root-0 and no other device has bridge priority assigned to it, which I think is the root cause for what's going on: Switches B and C see every single device in the network as direct-connection devices, and when I go to check the physical path of a connection it almost always shows me that the device path is device-B/C-MX95 until I refresh a few times, at which point it gives me the correct path (usually something like device-AP-A1/A2-A-MX95).

Additionally, there is a LOT of mac flapping going on on the network, most of it occurring between AP ports on switch A and trunk ports either up to the MX or down to A1 or A2

If I'm correct and this is an RTSP issue?

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What would help is if you made one switch the "core" switch.  Plug that into the MX95, and then plug all other switches into that core switch.

TMaki
Comes here often

Yeah at this point I've come to terms with that, but it's a warehouse environment and 'downtime' to make that kind of change is... hard to come by.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

A wireless client roaming between APs will cause MAC flap events in the MS event log. It's normal.

Is MS uplink sampling disabled? https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/MS_Client_Sampling_on_Uplink_Configurat...

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
TMaki
Comes here often

Client sampling is set to all interfaces and client tracking on the MX95 is set to use MAC address. I know about the roaming devices thing, and that explains a lot of the events I see in the log, but others are from an AP port to a trunk port and back, or just trunk port to local port to trunk port, which I guess could be connecting a laptop to a hardline?

EDIT: I went ahead and swapped MS uplink sampling to exclude uplink interfaces, the B and C switches still see all devices but now they don't see their OWN devices

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are they all Meraki switches, or a mix of vendors?

TMaki
Comes here often

All Meraki, MS series

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels