Switch stacks on different firmware

Gumby
Getting noticed

Switch stacks on different firmware

Hi,

What is the best process for upgrading a switch stack so servers with multiple links don't drop connection.  With the scheduling tool can you stagger it so each switch is upgraded independent or is the stack going to have issues with different firmware?  In this instance only going from 9.34 to 9.36 but what about between major versions?

I've read that the stack shouldn't reset all switches at once but feedback seems to be that this doesn't always occur.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

+1. I would like to know this as well.

I have only done between minor versions.  I would plan for a full system outage to go to a major version.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess its best to contact meraki support and let them upgrade each switch in the stack so you can make sure your lacp channel is back up before upgrading the next switch.

I'm not sure myself, would love to know. @MerakiDave@DCooper any chance you know?

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
redsector
Head in the Cloud

Support put me a new menu on the dashboard, so I can update switch for switch, the name of this is "staged upgrades". I did updates with that. It´s working with switches in a stack too.

To follow up, have done a staged upgrade on a 3 switch stack, 1 switch per hour.  Gone through no problems on this minor update.

Agree with Phil though on the major update and how well the stacking interface would hold up given the amount of stacking bugs there are (and fixes).

Zedilt
Here to help
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels