Switch Management VLAN - I have got myself confused

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch Management VLAN - I have got myself confused

So I have installed a new Meraki switch and I have got myself a little confused the management VLAN tagging. Heres the scenario.

Existing switch port = Trunk with Native VLAN 1 allowed all

New switch port = Trunk with Native VLAN 1 allowed all

New Switch Management VLAN = VLAN 2

There is routing between the VLAN I am on and VLAN 2 yet I cannot PING the new switch, VLAN 2 > WAN is open but switch is not connecting to the dashboard, it reverts to getting an IP on VLAN 1 even though I have set the IP manually in the dashboard and there is also a DHCP server on VLAN 2

Any ideas? I hope that I am just doing something stupid. 

5 REPLIES 5
alan
Conversationalist

What does the Switches local status page show? 

if vlan 2 not set it will default to no tagging and use vlan 1 (native).

Have you tried setting ip address/vlan manually or changing the switch port from trunk to access vlan 2 to allow the switch to get an ip address vlan 2 dhcp pool.

All sorted, a good reminder even for us seasoned users that going back to basic and checking everything is a good idea when something isn;t working.

YES I had setup the two switches properly

YES I had setup the VLAN to flow across the network

YES I had setup the core switch 

YES I had setup the core firewall

NO I hadn't installed the fibre patch lead between the core switch and core firewall...  

Thanks @alan  for your suggetions it was me not checking things that cause the problem.

It's either DNS, MTU, or layer one. 🙂

>NO I hadn't installed the fibre patch lead between the core switch and core firewall...  

While it is easy to jump to the conclusion that this was a layer 1 issue I personally think it was a lack of performance enhancing drugs.

Let everyone take this as a warning.  Don't start networking until after your third coffee.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How did you set the management VLAN?

Has the switch connected to the dashboard at least once and done its firmware upgrades?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels