Switch Core in HA

Nedy
Getting noticed

Switch Core in HA

Good afternoon!

I have a MS350-24X as CORE switch. Can I configure a second MS350-24X for HA? I mean, if my primary core fails, my secundary core can give the same service to LAN. Actually, my core switch has all my VLANs configured, statics routes, ACLs and it is configured as RSTP root.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
JasonCampbell
Getting noticed

Sure, stack the 2 switches using stacking cables, then set up LAG ports with 1 member port on each switch. Configure LAG on the downstream switches and connect a member port to each member port on each switch.

Currently operating this way with 2xMS425-16's.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the other option is Warm spare redundancy (VRRP). But then you have stp blocking redundant links.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yep, these switches are better stacked so from a logical standpoint you still have one switch but you do get the added availability and extra bandwidth.  However this only works if you can co-locate both switches in the same area (closet).

If you need redundancy and spatial separation (in case of fire) then with these switches you'll need to do the classic failover with blocked STP links.

The MS4xx range of switches have flexible stacking which also makes stacking possible over larger distances.

Nedy
Getting noticed

Yes, both switches will be in the same area. I sinceraly appreciate the help.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Then you'll need to buy the second MS350-24X.
This one comes with a 0.5m stacking cable, so if  you would still have that one that was delivered from the existing switch you can fully stack them.

Else if you've lost it you'll need to order one MA-CBL-40G-50CM.  Basically you need two in total to complete the 2switch stack.

The switches need to be close to one another.

If 0.5 meters is not enough you can order longer stacking cables of 1 or 3 meters.
2x MA-CBL-40G-1M or MA-CBL-40G-3M

The stack config in dashboard is really straightforward but you will need to bring the new switch online without stacking it first and make sure the existing and the new switch have the same firmware.

Then you'll need to power off both devices and connect the stacking cables in the back and startup the switches again.

Then you'll have a potential stack which you'll just need to provision and voila.

You can now start double uplinking every access switch for redundancy and extra bandwith through LACP port channels.

Nedy
Getting noticed

Thank you for all information. I have the second switch and cables. I am very grateful for you help.

Nedy
Getting noticed

so I do not have to add any confiuration in the new switch? just configure it in stack and ready? I do not have to configure VLANs, ACLs and everything that my current core has?

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey Nedy,
So just bring the switch online and add it to the dashboard network.
Make sure you don't couple it to the other switch yet.
Then wait until the switch has the same firmware as the other future stackmember.

When that is done, power down both switches.  Cable them up (stack cables)  don't forget to cross them.  So stack port 1 on the first switch connects to stack port 2 on the second and vice versa.

Then power them back up and wait a few minutes before going into the dashboard and then click in switch->switch stacks.
In that menu you'll see possible stackmembers where both switches will be on one line and then just click provision and give the stack a name.

Example:  first switch is SW-CORE1-01 and second switch is SW-CORE1-02 and then the stack is named SW-CORE1

phisical stack? interesting. I will do it. Thank you very much!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels