Vanptt
Comes here often

Supports compatibility between MS225 and SFP-10G-SR

Hi all

I’m using 2 modules 1Gb and 10Gb for connection between MS225-24P and MS410-16

The part number of 2 modules as in my image bellow

Capture.PNG

The problem is

-          If I insert module 1G to MS225 and module 10G to MS410 => port goes up

-          If I insert module 10G to MS225 and module 1G to MS410 => port doesn’t go up

Does anyone know how to solve this problem !?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have to use the same speed module on both ends of the link. Either both 1 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s. You can't mix them.

No, i can mix. Because as i tested, port goes up if 1G to MS225 and 10G to MS410

At the first time, i want to use 10G on both switch, because i installed MS225 in another building.

But after boot up for a long time, i didn't see port on MS410-16 goes up

So i try use another topo, use another module ( i have 10 module 10G and 8 module 1G)

And I realized that i can just insert 1G into MS225

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

You cannot have an SX transceiver on one end and an SR transceiver on the other end. You must connect SX to SX and SR to SR. Fiber optics do not auto-negotiate like a traditional copper Ethernet cable does. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Vanptt
Comes here often

Hi all,

Here what I have tested. It doesn't look like it shoule be, or like you said

MS225-24PMS410-16Port status
MA-SFP-10GB-SRMA-SFP-10GB-SRDown
MA-SFP-10GB-SRMA-SFP-1GB-SXDown
MA-SFP-1GB-SXMA-SFP-10GB-SRUp
MA-SFP-1GB-SXMA-SFP-1GB-SXUp

Can you tell me how to check module inventory after inserted into switch !?

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

If you go to the switch status page and then select the individual port where the transceiver is plugged in, you can see what the switch believes the transceiver is. 

What kind of cable are you connecting the two switches with? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Vanptt
Comes here often

Hi,

There is the fo cable i'm using

https://imgur.com/GFHUORS

Ok so that's laser-optimized 50-micron multimode fiber - what's the length of the fiber run?  As @PhilipDAth and @MRCUR stated, you cannot mix different PHYs.  Even if it shows as "up" and somehow manages to pass data (I don't see how) that's not a valid configuration.  You need to connect 1Gbps SX to 1Gbps SX and 10Gbps SR to 10Gbps SR.  The optics, both speed (1G or 10G) and type (SX, SR, LR, LRM) must match on both ends.  I understand you got a port status of "up" when you had a 1GB-SX in the MS225 and 10GB-SR in the MS410, but again that's not a valid configuration. 

To see what the Meraki switch "sees" inserted into the SFP cage, click into an individual switch port's status page (the URL will typically end with something like /ports/nn?timespan=86400 where "nn" is the port number you're loooking at).  On that page, in the "Status" section, you should see SFP info, typically under the CDP/LLDP info, and mine (I have used both Meraki and Cisco optics) even shows the SFP serial number for example.  Hope that helps!

My infrastructure team said about 100m length

I also open case with meraki support team, case id is 02655825, then call hotline too but no one support

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Is the fiber at least OM3 grade? Since you’re getting a link with SX at 100m but not SR, perhaps the fiber is OM1 or 2 which cannot support 10Gb at 100m length. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Vanptt
Comes here often

Hi,

All fo cables are OM3

https://imgur.com/GFHUORS

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Have you physically verified that the fiber (not your patch cables) is OM3? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels