Splitting a Combined Network consequences?

Mac1
Comes here often

Splitting a Combined Network consequences?

Originally we had a very small network containing only switches.

for some reason a template was created to add Wireless AP's and this was applied to the network. Consequently the switches lost part of their config becuase the template contained no switch settings.

So, to remedy this I split the networks into swithed and wireless, then unbound the switched from the template.

I was then able to configure the switches correctly.

However, for ease of managment, it would be easier if the two networks were combined, one pane of glass as it were?

Is there any way I can do this considering that the template only contains wireless settings, or would I need to add the relevant switch settings to the template first? This is impractical as The switch Profiles have no consideration for stacks, so we couldn't use a template for the switches?

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

that's not how templates should work. a template requires switch profiles bound to switches to enforce a config. if the template has no switch profiles then switches in combined networks bound to a template should receive no config/no override of whatever config was already in place.

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

What is the reason for using templates here? Wouldn't you just be able to accomplish this if you didn't use templates..

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels