Separate VLAN for Transit VLAN versus Meraki Core switches management interface

Anthony202
Here to help

Separate VLAN for Transit VLAN versus Meraki Core switches management interface

Hi there

I'm in the process of installing a new Meraki network and would like the transit VLAN between the WAN provider router and the Meraki Core switch to be different to the VLAN used for the management interface on the Meraki Core switch and all downstream Meraki Edge switches.

• Transit VLAN:
    • VLAN 200
    • 10.1.200.0/30
  • Meraki Management Interface VLAN:
    • VLAN 40
    • 10.1.4.0/24

My concern is whether or not the Meraki Core switch will be able to talk to the Meraki cloud through this setup.

My theory is that it should work if I create an Layer 3 interface (SVI) on the Meraki Core for VLAN 40 and get our WAN provider to have a static route on their WAN router pointing to this SVI as the next hop for the VLAN 40 subnet (along with routes to all other SVIs/VLANs on the switch, and a connect route for the transit VLAN 200).

I'm only slightly doubting the design as I've only come across illustrations where the Meraki switch on one end of the transit VLAN has its management interface set with the transit VLAN as the VLAN ID and configured an IP address in that address space (configured within the "LAN IP" settings area on the switch).

Below shows the proposed layout. I'd be grateful if someone can confirm if the setup will provide the Meraki Core with connectivity to the Meraki cloud.

Proposed layout2.PNG

Thanks

Anthony

1 Reply 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For a Meraki switch, it cannot use a L3 interface on itself for the gateway of the management interface. 

The management interface must have an external device as it's gateway en route to the internet and the Meraki dashboard cloud.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels