SFPs inquiry

TheNapster
Just browsing

SFPs inquiry

Hello guys,

I'm a newbie IT, and would like to set up a small office with a 10G uplink switch.
I choose the MS250-24, as closer to my requirements.

However, I'm curious with some SFP knowledge.
My colleague and I are planning to have the "10G Base LR Single-Mode" SFP, because we have a 1M single mode fiber cable in hand. Will this combination, does this will go smoothly without any link problems? As far as I know, single mode SFPs was designed for long range?

Thanks

Napster,

3 Replies 3
K2_Josh
Building a reputation

What switch are you connecting the MS250-24? As long is it also supports it, that will work. A better solution for shorter cables is passive twinax, which is supported by Meraki (at least if purchased from Meraki). Again, either option will work as long as the cables/transceivers are compatible with both switches.

Somewhat related to this, there's a Meraki compatible module, the MA-SFP-10GB-LRM, which is specifically designed for short runs. And it can also operate with single mode fiber or multimode fiber.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Assuming both switches support the same type of single mode SFP, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Meraki switches will generally accept other vendor SFP's but technically only support Cisco/Meraki branded.

As for the types of supported SFP's, you can check the following compatibility matrix

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Small-Form_Factor_Plu...

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There have been cases where the RX power is a tad too high on the receiving end and you get constant errors.  However the link did stay up without any CRC errors.

Usually it is not a problem but something to think about.

The MA-CBL-TA-1M is usually a better option if you want to connect a server or another switch in close proximity.  And it is much cheaper too. 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels