Remove A Stack Member

Solved
GarageLand42
Conversationalist

Remove A Stack Member

SW6 of my stack Broke and my remote tech just powered it down and shipped back to the home office and connected the stacks cables.   Under the current members, do I remove it by clicking on Remove Switches. 

Are There any Gotcha.? 

GarageLand42_1-1683753299420.png

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd suggest to where to caution and follow the documentation if you're removing the stack member to replace it.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Replacing_and_Cloning_Stack_Members

If you just want to remove the stack member and not replace it, I'm not sure if there's a process but I've seen instances where people have had to rebuild the stack entirely.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd suggest to where to caution and follow the documentation if you're removing the stack member to replace it.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Replacing_and_Cloning_Stack_Members

If you just want to remove the stack member and not replace it, I'm not sure if there's a process but I've seen instances where people have had to rebuild the stack entirely.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not exactly the same, but we recently added a third switch to an existing stack that has been there for a few years.  I simply added it into the stack in the dashboard and half an hour later connected up the stacking cables and was expecting the usual warning messages, needing to power cycle etc. but it all just worked!

GarageLand42
Conversationalist

Were you able to hot plug the stacking cables ?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I was amazed that it all worked!  The stack is only L2 (no L3 interfaces on it), but still happy with the result.

GarageLand42
Conversationalist

Great.  Thanks.  I inherited a Company where is was not configured correctly and I am not on site.

I will ship a stacking cable to a smart user at that location and have them plug it in.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels