Regular CRC errors for 5-10 minutes for a couple days and then nothing for 4-5 days..

johnjutte
Here to help

Regular CRC errors for 5-10 minutes for a couple days and then nothing for 4-5 days..

I have particular 10Gb link between an MS-125-48LP and MS-125-24P that is reporting brief CRC errors on loose but almost consistent basis. In the last month here's what I'm seeing:

11/2 - Switch installed no issues

11/8 - 2:46p to 2:56p - CRC errors side A - played wait and see. 

11/9 - 11:18a to 11:22a - CRC errors side A - cleared before noticed

11/16 - 3:59p to 4:06p - CRC errors side A - I took action. 

11/16 - 4:06p to 4:21p - replaced SFP+ modules and fiber cables on both sides

11/17 - 10:03a to 10:07a - CRC errors side A - cleared before I noticed

11/23 - 3:45p to 3:50p - CRC errors side A - vacation. 

11/24 - 11:56a to 12:00p - CRC errors side A - vacation.

11/29 - 2:30p to 2:35p - CRC errors side A - saw it this morning

11/30 - 12:05p to 12:10p -CRC errors side A - moved to different fiber pair with new module/cables

11/30 - 3:05p to 3:15p - CRC errors side B

While not precise.. there is some consistency with later in the day on Mon/Tues and then late morning the day after. The rest of week the link seems fine or at least not enough issues to alert. I understand CRC errors to mean a physical layer issue hence changing modules, cables, fiber strands, and ports. Are there other things I can check that might cause this? Is environment interference possible (outside RF or something)? Could support maybe dig deeper? Or should I try more hardware/get my fiber between closets checked? 

Devices on the switch uplinked through this connection never complain - includes VOIP devices and a MR36 with 10-15 devices connected all the time.  

4 REPLIES 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You're bang on that CRC's are a Layer 1 or Layer 2 issue.
Most commonly it's dirty/loose/broken cables, or occasionally a bad SFP/switchport. It can also be due to MTU mismatch.
If it's a 10Gb fiber link, interference is highly unlikely as fiber is relatively unaffected by RF as opposed to copper.

In terms of the consistency in timing, a couple of things to note are:
 - Higher CRC counts will generally correlate with higher network traffic (more packets = more likely for one to be corrupted). Is it possible that at these times the link had a higher utilization in general?
 - Do you have any scheduled traffic around those times where higher MTU data is being sent (and where a mismatch might be present in the network)?

In any circumstance, I would definitely suggest starting with swapping out the cable and continue troubleshooting up the stack from there.

I had more, inconsistent, CRC errors overnight tonight. 

I changed modules, patch cables, and ports a few times now. I guess my fiber between closets is likely the issue (dirty or damaged). 

johnjutte
Here to help

Well, so I might be stupid...
The link in question is OM1 and about 395ft long. A bit outside the range of 10Gb, so the link connected but signal is weak. I suspected this, and I was trying to some LRM modules with conditioning cables to see if I could be better signal. In a rush, not paying attention, I connect the conditioning cable backwards on 1 side (conditioner into patch instead of module).  

I flipped the conditioner around and so far so good... yea so, my bad guys. Thanks for input. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good find.

Certainly better than having to re-run cables.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels