Port STP change on AP ports as soon as devices connect. MS125 Switch

SOLVED
cwalkerACV
Just browsing

Port STP change on AP ports as soon as devices connect. MS125 Switch

Hi all,

I have been looking through posts in the community regarding an error for 2 ports on one of my MS125 switches constantly showing Port Status Change followed by Port STP change (see logs below):

Nov 26 13:31:25 Port STP change
Port 19 disabled→designated
Nov 26 13:31:25 Port status change
port: 19, old: down, new: 1Gfdx
Nov 26 13:31:25 Port STP change
Port 20 disabled→designated
Nov 26 13:31:25 Port status change
port: 20, old: down, new: 1Gfdx

Basically these two ports both have an MR55 AP connected. POE usage as follows:

CONSUMPTION

20.8 W / 370 W

BUDGETED

60 W / 370 W

There seems to be no errors when there are no clients connected to the network and as soon as a device connects, the errors start and will continue for an extended period of time. During this time, internet access will drop every 5-15 minutes for a period of 60 seconds. Firmware was updated to MS 14.32 yesterday evening with no resolution. Different ports were tested and did not resolve the issue. Also seeing internet connection drop for devices connected to Access ports on the same switch in conjunction with the outages seen on wireless clients when the ports go down and come back on. Rebooting switch and changing power supply has not resolved as well. 

Our network topology is a main stack at our HQ with 5 total switches (this stack is Root) with another stack in the same building for mostly access ports. The switch in question that is having the issue is in a building across the street. We are using a Unifi airFiber-24 to bridge between the two buildings that are about 200ft apart. No signal issues or blips on either side of the airFiber connection. https://www.ui.com/airfiber/airfiber24/

The airFiber on the roof of the building with the trouble switch simply connects into the single switch on this side into port 24. We have a Netgear switch connected to the troubled MS125 with CCTV only devices. Issues persist with this Netgear switch disconnected for an extended time. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated to try and resolve this issue!

Thanks, let me know if more information is needed. I am not a master at Meraki systems so please bear with me I will do my best.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

First thing you should do is upgrade to the current stable firmware. I can see your MR55s are running really old firmware from 2019. Your network says "Last upgraded on Saturday, November 17, 2018" 😲 Your other wireless networks appear to be running much more current firmware and have been updated more recently.

Once you're on current firmware you can monitor to see if the issue clears up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

First thing you should do is upgrade to the current stable firmware. I can see your MR55s are running really old firmware from 2019. Your network says "Last upgraded on Saturday, November 17, 2018" 😲 Your other wireless networks appear to be running much more current firmware and have been updated more recently.

Once you're on current firmware you can monitor to see if the issue clears up.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd try getting the MS to run a cable test on that port as well.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Using_the_Cable_Test_Live_tool 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels