cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port STP Change

Highlighted
Here to help

Port STP Change

I've followed everyone's suggestions from this board and many others, but our ports keep changing.  It affects all ports, but it really affects our POE phones since they reboot everytime.

Our data is on VLAN 1 and our voice is on VLAN 3, so separating them isn't an issue.  We are using MS-220s at one location and MS-225s at another.  Firmware version is MS 10.45

Anyone able to assist?

This goes only 24/7

Capture.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Port STP Change

I have seen this issue before, how many ports are affected. If you change the port you are using in the switch does the problem follow?

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Port 22 loops like it might have a loop on it.  What does it connect to?

Highlighted
Here to help

I'd say all of them affected. Whenever I change ports, that port begins to have problems

Highlighted
Here to help

That's what I thought at first but there are no loops.  Port 22 is just an example of what's happening.  If I switch ports, it starts happening on the new port also.

Highlighted
A model citizen

All I have that is similar are my Apple TV 4K which do the very same. But of course I don't think this is related. What is plugged into the ports?
Highlighted
Here to help

The ports that are giving me the most problems have ShoreTel POE phones plugged into them.  It is occurring on ports with computers attached, but the NICs react quicker to port status changes.

Highlighted
A model citizen

Power consumption ok as PoE usage per switch?

Highlighted
Here to help

Yes, They only run 30-50W/740W on all of them.  I'm adding in some power injectors and will rollback updates tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Highlighted
New here

Did you find a fix for this Vince? 

Highlighted
New here

Did ya get a fix to this Vince? 

Highlighted
Building a reputation

Any update on this?  I'm having this constantly at a few of my Meraki locations and am currently in dialog with support on the issue.   As of yet no resolution but the exact same issue.  Computers really don't notice but every phone reboots and of course I get tons of calls.

The only way I honestly even know is I get an alert from the UPS management system telling me the UPS lost contact briefly.

I've verify power is not the issue.

Highlighted
Here to help

Our phones (Mitel) have an issue with interacting with Meraki switches.  I changed out the Merakis with old Dell POE switches that have been factory reset.   Have experienced no issues since. 

So overall, it could be that the phones expect a certain wattage/signal from the switches and they either get bottlenecked or they get some kind of kill signal.

Either way, never could find the actual answer from either Mitel or Meraki. 

Highlighted
New here

ShoreTel Phones of the IP480, IP485 models by default have power settings that go into a low power sleep mode at roughly 20:00 hours and they awake at 07:00 hours.  When they awake they usually drop the port they are connected to.  I have seen this in SYSLOG on Legacy Cisco switches, and it likely will do the same to Meraki switches also.  Teaching the phones the following setting stops this:  

[power]

sleepEthernetLowPower=off

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.