Port Mirror on a MS425 Stack

FraDoo
Comes here often

Port Mirror on a MS425 Stack

Hi all,

We have a MS425 stack with 6 switches.

We enabled a port mirror on 1 port to 1 destination port. After enabling a second port to this destination. VLAN mismatches appear on other switches in the stack.

FraDoo_0-1614175152927.png

There is nothing connected to this port, but it shows the switch connected to the source port of the mirror

Switches are on 12.33 firmware, but I had the same behaviour on lower firmwares 2

When enabling more mirror ports, the same happens to more ports on different switches ...

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's interesting.  It had never occurred to me to try and mirror two source ports to the same destination port.  I just assumed this was not a valid config.  But that was a pure assumption.

It is also not obvious to me that your assumption that this is a valid case is also correct.

Could you open a case with support and case them if this is valid, and them come back and let everyone know?

I opened a support case.  First step was to upgrade to the latest firmware 🙂 That did not help.

Having multiple source ports sending traffic to the same port (Meraki supports only 1 destination port, aggregate ports are also not supported as source port) is the only way to capture traffic for Cisco Stealthwatch or Darktrace analysis.

Is anyone els using Stealthwatch or Darktrace with Meraki MS425 stacks?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could use multiple StealthWatch probes.

I haven't done it for a while, but last time I used MXs and NetFlow.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels