Physical stacking question

LucianTheDivine
Comes here often

Physical stacking question

Quick question.

I just installed two MS350s at one of my locations and stacked them together. The stack seems to be working fine and the dashboard didn't complain about anything however I'm only using one stack cable going from port 1 on switch 1 to port 1 on switch 2. Traffic is shown as going across that stack link too.

Is this correct? We do have another location where only two MS250s are stacked and I see two stacking cables between them. 

7 Replies 7
Osberg
Here to help

Normal recommendation is that you do a cross stack, meaning using 2 stack cables, but you can use it with only 1, but you will miss your redundancy here then. 

Frank Osberg | Domain Architect @ Solar A/S
LinkedIn - Twitter
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! Much Thanks
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The ideal would be to have two cables for the Stack for high availability reasons. But as it is, it will not prevent it from functioning correctly.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
LucianTheDivine
Comes here often

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

One other question on this topic: Can I have an uplink to the firewall on both of the stack members? In the physical stacking guide it mentions just having a single uplink.

If your firewall supports LACP you can definitely do this. But if it is a Meraki firewall you have to enable STP since the MX does not support LACP.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality#LACP_.26_Link_Aggr...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Agree, but most firewalls can do this. 😉

Frank Osberg | Domain Architect @ Solar A/S
LinkedIn - Twitter
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! Much Thanks
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To add to the other answers in this thread, using 2 cables to stack in a 'ring' topology isn't just recommended, it's the supported topology as per the stacking guide.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Configuring_a_Physical_Switch_Stack

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will work as it is now but it is in fact a failure scenario.  You should invest that little 100-ish$ for the second cable and just connect the full ring.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels