Odd Switch Template Behavior

jwatts
Comes here often

Odd Switch Template Behavior

I have a template set up for our switches. If I go to the template, click Switch Templates, click the name of the template it will show no switches bound to this switch template. If I click Bind switches it will show 8 switches available to be bound.

If I then go to Organization, Configuration templates and look at the template there, it shows 8 bound networks. 

Why is the template being bound to the switches even though the switches aren't bound to the template. Does binding the network accomplish the same thing?

2 Replies 2
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Binding the Network: This binds the entire network, which includes all devices in that network, to a template. This can indirectly apply switch configurations to those switches, but it’s not the same as explicitly binding each switch to a switch template. The switch will inherit network-level configurations, but switch-specific settings may not apply unless the switch is bound directly to the switch template.

Binding Switches to the Template: This directly applies only the switch-specific configurations to those switches. If switches aren't bound here, they won't receive specific configurations defined in the switch template, even if the network is bound.

When you bind a network, you're setting general configurations for the entire network. But if you want specific switch settings to take effect, you'll also need to bind the switches to the switch template directly.

Enthusiast
jwatts
Comes here often

Thanks for the explanation!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels