OSPF Loopback IP & Router ID

fero
Conversationalist

OSPF Loopback IP & Router ID

Hi there,

i'm quite new to meraki and have the following questions:

in my humble opinion is it best practice in a regular cisco ospf environment that loopback ip and router id are identical.

i have to configure a few nexus 5672up with several ms 250 and ms 425. in the past i configured a loopback ip / router id with an ip from a segment which is not used elsewhere and which is not routed as well, but used in the whole area.

is it possible to adapt this conecpt to the meraki boxes as well or do i have to change the whole environment?

any help is highly appreciated...

thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hello @fero, You're correct this concept still can apply to Meraki. Meraki uses the standard  RFC 2328 (OSPFv2) which will interoperate with other vendors running the same version.

There is not the concept of a loopback configuration within Meraki, have a read of this article which provides more of an insight - https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_OSPF_Overview

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
fero
Conversationalist

Hello @MilesMeraki

Thank you for your hint. unfortunately i found this "paper" already. it seems that there are not a lot settings to configure on meraki devices regarding ospf. 😞

i was hoping that there would be an advanced mode or something similar...

best regards

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hello @fero, Unfortunately not. Meraki keeps configuration and simplistic as possible. Which isn't a bad thing!

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels