New Layer 2 point to point LAN configuration

jimmlegs
Conversationalist

New Layer 2 point to point LAN configuration

We have provisioned a new layer 2 circuit between and our office and datacenter and would like to configure the routing properly. Would you be able to assist or point me to an article that goes through this specific configuration, I come from the world of Catalyst switches and the GUI doesn't make as much sense to me

This is a skeleton breakdown:
Transit subnet: 172.30.254.0/28
Local transit interface: 172.30.254.2
Local subnet: 192.168.68.0/24

Remote subnet: 196.168.150.0/24
Remote transit interface: 172.30.254.1

I believe I create an interface for transit with IP 172.30.254.2/28
I then create a static route to 196.168.150.0/24 via 172.30.254.1

The remote side would be configured with the 172.30.254.1/28 address and their routes for 192.168.68.0/24 would point to 172.30.254.2

Does the above process sound correct?

Thank you very much in advance for the assistance

7 Replies 7
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've never tested this in the wild on Meraki gear but your logic is sound.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Also depending on switch model, you could also use a dynamic routing protocol instead of static routes.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @jimmlegs , done the same quite a few times using Meraki devices. The Config you’ve posted will work fine

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
jimmlegs
Conversationalist

I believe I have setup the interfaces/routes properly but traffic is not being routed properly from my server network to the new routes. When I run a trace to the other end of the connection it goes out the default route and not the static one I want.

tracert 172.30.254.1

Tracing route to 172.30.254.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms * <1 ms 192.168.68.252
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.

MerakiRed.png

Thank you

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Have you got the hosts at each end configured with the correct default gateway?    (i.e. the Meraki switch at each end)

Either that or, if they have an existing gateway, which you can't change (a firewall maybe?), you'll need an extra route on there, pointing the appropriate subnets (those at the other end of the link) to the local Meraki Layer-3 switch.

jimmlegs
Conversationalist

I'm confirming with the remote end RE: configuration. the 192.168.68.253 default route does go out through as ASA, perhaps they have more of a "router on a stick" configuration which I will hunt down as well.

I was hoping the static routes would supersede the default but that does not appear to be the case.

Thank you

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm referring to the default gateway of the host devices at each end.  The static route on your switch will indeed supersede its default route (provided the destination traffic matches that defined in the route) but if your client or your server isn't sending it's traffic to the Layer-3 switch where that route is configured, it won't help you.    Look at the default gateway of your client and server, then check the routing table on the configured gateways: check that they have a route to the other end, via the next-hop Meraki switch.

jimmlegs
Conversationalist

Currently waiting on a third party to confirm the remote end of the connection, I think they may only perform changes one day per week. I will update this again once there is progress.

Thank you all 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels