'Multi-Homed' LAN Configuration (Static Routes)

pBrain
Conversationalist

'Multi-Homed' LAN Configuration (Static Routes)

I am seeking a little help in what may be an unorthodox configuration.  Not sure if I am missing anything here, so I am reaching out to those who are smarter than I for guidance.

We have two locations which we currently have connected via site to site (10GB) fiber.

Both sites have MX Appliances.  Site 1 is the primary site with all the users and clients (172.18.20.0/24) and Site 2 is the Data Site (172.18.200.0/24) with all the servers.

Servers at Site 2 have a 172.18.20.0 address and are reachable from Site 1.  Currently, I can reach devices on the 172.18.200.0/24 network via Site-to-site VPN, but I want to eliminate this method.

The goal is to allow devices at Site 2, connectivity to devices at Site 1 via the switches that link the 2 site.  My thinking is that I need to perform the following task:  Create a Layer 3 Routing Interface on the Switch at Site 2 with a route to 'connect' the 172.18.200.0/24 and 172.18.20.0/24 networks.

Meraki makes this a little confusing with their numerous UI's, so I am not sure where and how to set this up.  Below is a network diagram.

pBrain_0-1715001296135.png

Phase 2 of this will be to add a second interface to the servers with a 172.18.200.0/24 address for redundancy in the event that the link between BAKER and BERRYVILLE is severed, the server would use the 200.1 gateway.

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Create a Layer 3 Routing Interface on the Switch at Site 2 

You are going to need to do this at both sites.  Both sites are going to need L3 processing to be done on the switches.

>Phase 2 of this will be to add a second interface to the servers with a 172.18.200.0/24 address for redundancy in the event that the link between BAKER and BERRYVILLE is severed

I would avoid doing this.  Dual homed servers is a real pain.

Over the 10Gbe link use a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF, so the two switches dynamically learn what is available at the other site.  On the MXs, use AutoVPN between them.  If the 10Gbe link goes down, the switches will use their default routes, and failover to using AutoVPN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels