Monitor Ambient Temperature

MK2
Building a reputation

Monitor Ambient Temperature

I know this is not a new topic, but what the hell is keeping Meraki from hiding such a simple feature again.
Almost every other manufacturer offers such a feature and it is no competition to the other sensors from Meraki.

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MK2 what devices are you wanting to manage the temperature on?   The only ones we find that are at all accurate are server intake temperatures or UPSes and even those aren't great, hence we now deploy an MT into our important server rooms / wiring closets.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thermal sensors are often embedded into other components rather than separate devices.  As such they can't usually measure the ambient temperature - they measure the temperature of the particular piece of silicon.

I can't see Meraki adding a fan inlet temperature.  It doesn't help the device in any way.

Using a separate standalone sensor in an open space away from devices that generate heat would be the best way of getting the ambient temperature.

MK2
Building a reputation

I partially agree with you there. We monitor the temperature of every switch at Cisco Catalyst. Simply for the reason that if a fan fails or a neighboring device generates too much heat, we can proactively intervene.

An MT sensor in the rack is a good thing to be able to assess the overall situation, i.e. is the air conditioning running or is the rack getting too hot. We have already tested MT at the rack front and the back, provides good information.

BUT, this information does not help me for a single device or even small racks where the MT would have no connection.

This is such a simple thing, Catalyst can do it and Meraki can't?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels