Meraki switch all ports open by default?

Solved
Changmin-Bae
Here to help

Meraki switch all ports open by default?

HELLO experts

I also have a question for you.

Is the Meraki switch all ports open by default? (Not only the switch but also the firewall)

The customer is testing in Switch local and says the 443port is not open.

What should I check?

1 Accepted Solution

All Meraki switches come with all their ports set to VLAN 1 and Trunks with No ACL's to stop intercommunication between clients. To answer your question, should PC>Merak Switch>PC on port 443 work, the answer is yes.

If there is a firewall in-between the two clients, definitely check that Port 443 is open to allow communication between the two clients. Alternatively also check that there are no host-based firewalls which could be stopping communication on port 443. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They must be directly plugged into it or on the list of allowed subnets - if you are talking about the local status page. Often it is easier to plug into the management port on the back of the switch with a notebook.

Thank you for answer.

I gave the wrong explanation.

Did you tell me about the https manage connection?

I was talking about PC to PC 443 port connection.

PC (solution) ------ SWITCH ------- PC (443)

By default, I think all ports are open.  Is that right?

Would it be the same if the firewall is in the middle?

PC (solution) ------ SWITCH ------ FW ------- PC (443)

All Meraki switches come with all their ports set to VLAN 1 and Trunks with No ACL's to stop intercommunication between clients. To answer your question, should PC>Merak Switch>PC on port 443 work, the answer is yes.

If there is a firewall in-between the two clients, definitely check that Port 443 is open to allow communication between the two clients. Alternatively also check that there are no host-based firewalls which could be stopping communication on port 443. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels