Meraki MS425 pair and MS225 pair Stacking

SOLVED
ZMK
Here to help

Meraki MS425 pair and MS225 pair Stacking

I have a customer who wants to use a pair of MS425 as Core Switches

and three MS225 switches as access switches.

Q1. To stack two MS425 switches, do I need two MA-CBL-40G-50CM cables?

Q2. To stack three MS225 switches, do I need three MA-CBL-40G-50CM cables?

Q3. To stack two MS425 switches, do I have to use two QSFP ports from Front panel?

Q4. To stack three MS225 switches, do I have to use two QSFP ports from Back panel? Do all MS225 models have two QSFP Stack ports at the Back panel?

Q5. In three MS225 switches, one switch is MS225-48FP.  Can PoE MS225 switch stack with Non-PoE MS225 Switches? Please answer the above questions and correct me if I wrong? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Correct if you want to stack them using the QSFP+ ports, which you don't have to, you can go into the port configuration page and change any of the ports from Ethernet ports to Stack ports.  MS425 supports "flexible stacking" so any front panel port can be used for stacking.  Check for more info here in the install guide: https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Installation_Guides/MS425_Series_Installation_Guide#Bringing_you...

Correct, OR the 1M or 3M stack cables.

Q3. To stack two MS425 switches, do I have to use two QSFP ports from Front panel?

Not necessarily, same answer as Q1.

Q4a. To stack three MS225 switches, do I have to use two QSFP ports from Back panel?

Correct, the MS225 has dedicated back-panel QSFP+ stacking ports, use MA-CBL-40G-xxx cables.

Q4b. Do all MS225 models have two QSFP Stack ports at the Back panel?

Yes

Q5. In three MS225 switches, one switch is MS225-48FP.  Can PoE MS225 switch stack with Non-PoE MS225 Switches? 

Yes, any MS225 can stack with any other MS225 and/or cross-stack with any other MS210.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Correct if you want to stack them using the QSFP+ ports, which you don't have to, you can go into the port configuration page and change any of the ports from Ethernet ports to Stack ports.  MS425 supports "flexible stacking" so any front panel port can be used for stacking.  Check for more info here in the install guide: https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Installation_Guides/MS425_Series_Installation_Guide#Bringing_you...

Correct, OR the 1M or 3M stack cables.

Not necessarily, same answer as Q1.

Q4a. To stack three MS225 switches, do I have to use two QSFP ports from Back panel?

Correct, the MS225 has dedicated back-panel QSFP+ stacking ports, use MA-CBL-40G-xxx cables.

Q4b. Do all MS225 models have two QSFP Stack ports at the Back panel?

Yes

Q5. In three MS225 switches, one switch is MS225-48FP.  Can PoE MS225 switch stack with Non-PoE MS225 Switches? 

Yes, any MS225 can stack with any other MS225 and/or cross-stack with any other MS210.

Thanks for your answers and explanation.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels