Meraki MS225 issues with Synology Surveillance

DBlum
Getting noticed

Meraki MS225 issues with Synology Surveillance

We are running into issues where we are getting artifacts and distortion on video and was wondering what would be the best way to setup QOS for video on an MS225 where the streams are coming in RTSP (with delivery set to auto so assuming TCP) and have tried UDP as well. Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I doubt this is a switch issue … but lets work with the assumption it could be.

First I would make a port that connects to a camera an access port.  This should prevent the port getting blocked for short periods of time due to spanning tree topology changes.

Ideally we need the cameras to DSCP tag their traffic so we can apply a QoS policy.  Can the cameras do this?

Lets pretend the camera can mark its traffic, and lets pretend all the cameras are on the same VLAN (lets pretend the VLAN is 20), then go into Switch/switch settings, and tell the switches to trust DSCP on the camera VLAN.

1.PNG

Lets say your cameras can't do DSCP tragging but you have a dedicated camera VLAN.  Then do something like the below to re-write the QoS tag on the packets.

Also make sure that the switch ports and cameras are negotiating the same speed and duplex.  Also check this for the NVR that they are all writing to.

We have all the ports setup as access ports based on a single VLAN for the network.  A few of the cameras reside over a Ubiquiti CPE (which gets around 800mbps so speed is not an issue there) and that port is connected to the meraki as an access port as well.  All the ports and devices have the same speed and duplex except for the nvr which is running at 10Gig on the uplink port.  Thank you

@DBlum  My org has a few cameras connected to a Synology NAS and we also have MS225 switches. We don't see the issues you have.

1. What model of Synology device do you have, if you only have a smaller unit it could well be the processor of that which is the bottle neck. 
  2. is the distortion during playback or viewing live footage? 

3. What frame rate are your cameras set to use, I have found anything more than 15fps max is overkill. 

We have the RS3617XS+ (maxed out ram and 1TB ssd cache) and have the fps at 10-12.  We are running some Axis 180's and Hikvision 8MP Varifocals

@DBlum I feel like I am being stalked... We have almost the same model minus the redudant PSU. 

1. How many cameras in total do you have?

2. What does the CPU usage on the Synology box rest at?

3. Does the issure affect all of the cameras or only some?

19 total cameras, cpu and ram show under 8%.  Affects pretty much every camera.  The synology rep had me update the surveillance station software to a new one that just came out with no luck.

Is the NVR on the same subnet as the cameras or are they routing from another subnet?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels